Tuesday, November 5, 2013

The Blackberry Beat Goes On



Blackberry Acquisition Rumors and Details

"The rumours of my death are greatly exaggerated"

And so goes the life cycle of technology companies in the 21st Century.

It is sad, but I remember (vaguely, however) a small brown plastic radio that I was given as a child.  For the first time in my life (then), I had the opportunity to experience media by myself, on my own terms.  Understand, there were some limitations that must be noted here:

  • It had a cord that needed access to AC house current.  There were no batteries for radios then.
  • The program(s) that interested me were broadcast after school (in the afternoon) once a week and after broadcast, they were no longer available.
  • The speaker in the radio made noise that attracted attention.  There were no headsets or earphones in those days.
  • And there was no household television.  We had to walk more than a mile to a nearby recreation center if we wanted to watch TV with a bunch of other people
I realize that I am really dating myself with this tale of antiquity.  But the point is that technology does change and memory of its benefits and limitations are lost on generations of people who never experienced them.


And so it is with Blackberry.  Memories for recent generations of the beginnings of texting, a real keyboard (best used by people with small fingers), the first browser in your hand (but who could read it), and Blackberry trendsetting the mobile revolution.

Will someone breathe life back into a dying company?  After all there are 6 Billion (with a B) cell phones in the world.  

Do we care?  Probably not.

Sad!

Thanks to The Verge
Show Comments: OR