Tuesday, October 13, 2015

How many clicks does it take?

There are some computer and smartphone users who pride themselves on the efficiency of their device use.  Shortcuts, cookies, single sign-on and other methods of speeding up the process of signing on, logging on, and moving from app to app.  And there are others who don't even think about it.  They just wake it up or turn it on, tape the screen four times or click OK.

We have already confirm on this forum that most folks dont really think or even care about privacy.  They assume that their identity will be protected - somehow, and that whatever activity trail they might leave behind will disappear as soon as they put the phone down or close the lid of their laptop.

The answer to the title question is simple:  It will take as many clicks or as much time as you want to invest in your own privacy and security. 

I really have grown to hate blogs like this one, because I know that by the time most readers have gotten this far, their eyes have begun to glaze over and they are ready to give up.  Apologies, but if you have stayed with me, I'll try to make it worth your while.

When I got my Android watch from my children last Christmas, I approached it open mindedly and with an anticipation of great technical opportunity.  Unfortunately that didn't happen after a couple of weeks.  But what did happen was that I was able, for the first time, to accomplish two-factor authentication (eyes glazing over), which meant that when I I took an extra step (another click) on the login to a website that requires higher security by me all the time, the security code appeared very quickly on my wrist while the entry prompt screen was awaiting my response from the keyboard.

Cool!

The rest of my disappointment with the Android Watch is contained in a past blog, and is not relevant to this blog's message.

But back to clicking.  The extra clicks you take and layers of authentication or denial of linking prompts (all of which require additional clicks or screen pokes on a smartphone or tablet) will greatly reduce your exposure and risk to all kinds of potential nasty outcomes including spyware, phishing attacks, and the slowing down of your devices (again eyes glazing over).

So plan to click and poke more than you want to. Yes, it slows you down a bit, but will make a huge difference today, at least until we devise better methods of protection.

And if you want to protect the digital information you send out to friends, co-workers, colleagues, and official places, please consider new products from SafeJunction.com .  You can sign-up on the right side of the website under "sign-up for beta".

Thanks for hanging-in from your privacy buddies at SafeJunction

Show Comments: OR